View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Galane
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
yay, something i'm an expert on....

you can build or buy an ALDL cable to communicate with the ECM via a laptop using tunerpro RT. i've built the definition for it and it's been tested by a few people to work correctly.
<clip>
i actually have the calibration used on the 94-95 A-bodies listed as having fan 1 and 2 on at:

106 *C (223*F)
112 *C (234*F)

then, they turn off when they reach:

102 *C (216*F)
108 *C (227*F)
Got a link to software and plans for the cable?

234F is too @#%%# hot, especially for the pre-1997 3100. That's right at the limit for a 16 PSI system, and the early 3100 doesn't have the polymer coated piston skirts. By the time the 2nd fan comes on the engine is eating itself, if not before the 2nd fan comes on.

GM knows they screwed this up*. Sometime in 1996 they started putting the coating on pistons 5 and 6, by 1997 they put it on all the pistons. All new 3100 pistons are polymer coated, and rather expensive.

I've checked the odometer against mile markers, it's off as much as the speedometer.

I assume the MEMCAL chip has to be removed, erased (UV lamp or is it EPROM?) then the edited code loaded?

*If you think the too tight pistons in the 3100 are screwy, how about some of the newer GM V8's? They're designed so the pistons just hit the heads at operating temperature. A knocking sound during warm up is carbon deposits getting knocked off the edges of the pistons and combustion chambers. Let one of those get too hot and it's broken pistons and heads. A GM dealer service manager (who's been such for near 40 years) told me that and about the 3100's issues. "That sound that sounds like the engine is beating itself to bits? That's normal."