View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Twerp
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
I definitely understand where everybody is coming from here, and I'm not offended. My initial response was pretty tongue-in-cheek. Seriously, I think we are over-simplifying when it comes to truck owners. Sure, a lot of trucks are owned for all the wrong reasons, but let me point out a few specific truck owners that would be unfairly screwed over by penalizing them for the vehicle that they drive.

I'll start with myself. Right now, I'm commuting my truck. It's not the greatest position to be in, but at the moment, I'm kinda stuck. When I bought my truck, I had a different job, different income and a whole different lifestyle. My commute was very short and made it easy and efficient to take a motorcycle to work. After a job loss, some time being unemployed, a blown fork seal on the bike and a new job with a longer commute, I'm in a way different position than I was. I'm too poor at the moment to go out and get a new econo-car (too much negative equity on the truck). The truck will definitely be needed to take me to work in the snow (RT114 gets UGLY in the winter). Fortunately I'm lucky enough to have been able to trade my bike for an old Honda which will be easier to commute in most weather.

So should I pay extra to drive my truck? Well, I already do. If you haven't noticed, gas doesn't cost as much for the economy car drivers. So there's my penalty. I don't think I should be double penalized for it. I do agree with rewarding those who burn less gas. Hey, I wouldn't mind having a nice gas-tax rebate for also owning and driving my Civic. I'm also satisfied with fuel economy being it's own reward, though. I may drive the same number of miles as Joe Blow in his Super-tuner Type R, but if I econo-drive, and he burns through tires almost as fast as he sucks down gas, it puts us in similar fuel economy brackets. Why should I be penalized more than Joe?

As another example, there is the construction worker. She's (trying not to be gender-biased) not doing too well in this housing market. She has her truck to maneuver through her job site which can be a little muddy from time to time. She has to carry ladders and tools and the occasional generator on a regular basis.

Then there's the horse owner. I'm not fond of horses, but I sympathize. He has to tow a horse trailer from time to time as well as pick up food and supplies that a Prius just wouldn't handle. With the rising cost of everything, he might not be able to afford a second vehicle to take to work. Plus, maybe he uses his truck at work too.

If you ask me, the problem isn't the truck owner, it's stupid people. Find a way to tax stupidity, and you'll prolly hit all those rednecks in their loud, jacked up monster trucks who are burning fuel for the pure fun of it. You'll also get that chick sitting in her idling hummer, cranking the AC with the window open, while complaining on her cell phone about fuel prices. Heck, you'll also nail Joe Blow and all of his dumb punk friends. And just think about the tax income it would generate from some of the celebs and sports stars out there. Then again, I'm sure there are even some stupid people out there that have legitimate need for their trucks.