View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
I dislike diesel quite a lot; it's very expensive to repair a diesel engine if they do break, they smell bad, they are noisy (even in modern cars with very good sound damping) and in the case of Semi trucks (in my state at least) are completely unregulated and are allowed to belch clouds of black smoke. Meanwhile I pay $200 every 2 years to have my little tiny 1.5 liter tested by the DEQ. Admittedly it makes me a little jealous.

Some of the reason I dislike diesel is because of that jealousy, but much of it just boils down to simply disliking their pollution. Diesels are not clean engines, no matter what some on this forum would have you believe.

EDIT: I forgot to post the second part!

As for the Prius, I appreciate the engineering that went into it and think they're pretty amazing, but I very much dislike the pollution the battery packs produce when manufactured, distributed, and recycled, as much of that process takes place (often) in China, where they are free from environmental oversight. Same reason I don't own an iPhone even though it's the trendy thing to do.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White