View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
mcjeffer
EcoModding Lurker

Question serial display help?

Hello, started building a MPGuino, and bought a Parallax Serial LCD 2x16 with speaker. not realizing i bought a serial LCD instead of Parallel i get home and wire evrything up on my desk to a solderless breadboard (no inputs for vss or inj obviously). upon uploading the latest version of the code to my Arduino Uno rev 3 the screen powers up, makes some beeps from the speaker (actually a nice tune) and the screen is showing what looks like an alien language. they are just random ASCII characters that make no sense, mostly "?" "&" and just boxes, and lines. frustrated for several hours looking through code which i don't understand, and checking over my wires time and time again.. everything looks fine to me.

please help me anyone, documentation for the Parallax board can be found here
parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/displays/27979-Parallax-Serial-LCDs-Product-Guide-v3.1.pdf

can the code be changed to use a serial LCD, or should i remove the daughterboard that seems to be a serial to parallel interface with speaker and contrast control.... what to do what to do...

BTW this is going in a 92 Saturn SL2, odometer reads 265,xxx and is stuck... i would like to use the ability of the mpguino to keep track of mileage between engine service