View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
JETZcorp
EcoModding Lurker

The Dakota - '99 Dodge Dakota R/T
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

The Honda - '88 Honda CRX DX
90 day: 47.43 mpg (US)
Big V8, Dead little Honda

Hey guys. Been a minor lurker for a while but just decided to join now that I actually intend to do something about my FE.

As noted in my garage, I've got two vehicles. The first is a Dakota R/T, which is a vehicle famous ONLY for its supreme lack of efficiency. The engine is of a family introduced in 1964, as a major revision to the engine that Chrysler used in the '50s (remember Christine? Yeah, that motor). It also happens to be the largest version of that motor the factory made. It's hooked up to the least-efficient transmission Chrysler has ever produced, with a rear-end ratio made for drag racing. The ECU is about as intelligent as a garden hose, and moves gasoline in the appropriate quantities. And, although it's a small truck, the frame alone weighs almost as much as a Honda CRX. I drive 50mi a day, and because of the stunning reliability of my Honda CRX, the Dakota is my daily driver. I buy a lot of gas.

The Honda was, admittedly, a stupid purchase. I purchased it so that I could stop pouring gold into the Dakota's gas tank, and focus on using that money to upgrade the truck for power and handling and all that other speed freak stuff. During my test drive, I neglected to notice that it was running on three cylinders. It was very slow, which I thought was normal for a Honda. After it stopped running entirely, we removed the head and discovered that it was running on 15.5 valves. While it was running, I could get about 32mpg out of it, which in-context, I'm impressed with. This car is the main reason I'm joining here. The poor thing needs a rebuilt. I'll probably want to create a new thread detailing my ideas and questions on that, or else this is going to be a huge thread.

Gone, but not forgotten, is Windy. The only 2003 Ford Windstar that anybody ever loved. When you were off the throttle, it burned zero gas. When you were on the throttle, it burned more gas than anything Boeing has ever thought of producing.