View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

I know I know this is an old thread but I like the oldie but goodies

Why create a new thread when we can build upon this one. Up to this point I do not know much about these systems to be honest but I do find them quite fascinating and practical for where we are today. The best part about it is this is not a new technology its a mature technology that is used in all types of applications.

From little research I did yesterday on the subject I found that there is basically 2 setups like electric hybrids. You have your parallel and your series setups. The series setups utilize an extra pump motor to eliminate the transmission, driveline, and rear differential to propel the vehicle. The ICE is used only to pressurize the system not for propulsion. In the parallel setup you still retain the ICE driveline and the ability to use the ICE for propulsion. The parallel system is used basically to recapture kinetic energy while braking.

With today's modern electronic control and monitoring the hydraulic system is said to be able to recapture nearly 80% of the braking force of a vehicle. To me this is a very big number and one that has to be investigated further for its merits.

Having the ability to recapture 80% of braking force opens the door to take full advantage of coasting, pulse and glide, as well as start stop no idle engine technology. One of the biggest drains on the ICE during urban driving is idling while stopped and during initial acceleration. If you have the ability to eliminate these 2 energy sappers you have the ability to greatly improve fuel economy as well as reduce pollution

Some other major advantages I see right off the bat compared to electrics is no costly battery replacements, No BMS, No inverters, Its lighter more compact and more efficient, and lastly its cheaper!

So I am going to ask this question with all these advantages why are we not spending more time and resources perfecting this hybrid option?

GH