View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
liquidzorch
EcoModding Lurker

Car harder to start after sitting 15min

Helo. Here is a new problem. My car used to start after about 1 second of cranking, maybe less, no matter what temp.

Then I sent my injectors to a lab to be cleaned and tested. Came back tested good. I put them back in. The I also changed the starter motor brushes.

Now In the morning it starts on first compression stroke always.

But when it is warmed up then has sat for about 15min or more, it takes about 5 seconds of cranking to start up again. The starter motor sounds better than before, it even sounds faster. When cranking it does not sound like it is struggling to ignite. It does this even when I prime the fuel pump a couple times.

In the morning it always starts great, even if I dont prime the fuel pump.

If I warm up the car, and turn it off and on again within 5 minutes it will start in less than a second. It is only after it has sat for awhile.

To me it sound like it is getting too much gas, since cold engine needs more gas it will start fast but hot engine need less gas, and thats why it needs more cranks. Thats just what I think.

The fuel pressure has been checked and ok, the ECT sensor is giving the right readings at all temperatures. It new ait, and tps sensors. The idle speed is perfect. It runs great. No problems when running.

Also I have tested spark twice when it is hard to start and the spark is nice and bright, can jump about 1 inch. So all ignition problems can be ruled out.

For everybody that might think it is the starter motor. Before all this (when it would always start quickly), I could start the car with basicly a bad battery. You could hear the starter stuggling to turn the engine, and it would still ignite on first or compression stroke. Now it turns quickly with new battery and new brushes.

This is a 93 honda civic lx, with d15b7 engine (non vtec).