View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
tienbac2005
hyper-smiler :)

Lud3 - '93 Honda Prelude SI-VTEC
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Civ3 - '13 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 41.02 mpg (US)

21x3 - '21 BMW X3 xdrive 30i
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
New from Virginia: 93 Prelude

Hi! I'm Tron (I know I know) and I'm from northern VA. Recently I've decided to change my driving style because face it, saving a few minutes each way on a 70 mile round trip commute isn't worth the price of the extra fuel I'm using.

I've been driving my 1993 Honda Prelude SI-VTEC since I've started driving about 9 years ago, and recently got a full tune up and all belts replaced so I figure I can start paying more attention to my fuel consumption with a fresh start. On average I get about 22-24 MPG (fill tank until the pump clicks, take down miles and divide), no fancy instrumentation or anything yet but its the same gas station and the same pump (almost each time).

My ultimate goal is to hit 30 by the end of this year. I know this isn't the best car for economy and 30 MPG may be a stretch, but making the best of this car is better than a new car payment or buying another car that someone else may have neglected.

Some of the mods I've done so far are lighter wheels off of an Integra Type-R, look very similar to HX and VX wheels, with narrower tires and running about 35PSI. I've taken off the rear wing and disabled the power antenna from going up when the CD player is on. I found 1 piece headlights (instead of headlight and corner lamp separate) off of a Japanese Prelude to reduce gaps in the front and some mild weight reduction, trunk lining and rear seats (useless anyway).

I've started using some of the techniques in the 100+ Hypermiling Tips post and so far I've seen a bit of a visual improvement on the gas gauge. I'll post pics later and will update this after my first fill. Thanks for reading!