View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

I drive mine year round and I don't do anything differently. I live in Colorado, and my garage stays about 40 deg F at night My BMS limits the current I can draw based on the temperature of the cells. It de-rates the peak 500 amps as the temperature drops. I've had a few incidents where this presented a problem. One was at Christmas last year. I was at my son's piano recital and it was 12 deg F when I drove home. I was climbing a hill at 60 mph, and the BMS shut down the car because of the current limits. I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. It took a few minutes before it allowed me to start again. I'm not sure why that happened. I'm now aware that I have to be a little more conservative when accelerating when it's cold. I have a 1500W heater in my car that's wired for high heat at 1150 watts, and low at 375 watts. It's enough to keep it comfortable in the car, not warm, but it is an MG. I do figure that my range is probably reduced by 30% when it is below 40 F. I have enough range for my use so it's not a problem.