Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Tesla won't be able to sell low end cars. They can sell to the high end because those consumers buy cars for different reasons. Why would a $40,000 Tesla sell differently than a $40,000 Volt?

EV technology has a bit more to go before it's ready for the masses. The main problem is the pricetag. The technology is expensive to develop and produce. Since they don't sell EV's like they do Civic's, the consumer gets the full bill and pays a high upfront cost.

Why don't they sell like Civics? Most EV's have a range under what the masses are comfortable with. The current cars on the market don't offer anything over their gasoline competition besides being labeled as environmentally friendly. You may not have to buy gas, but you pay more up front for the technology, and it still costs money to charge. I think I read the payback period for the Nissan Leaf if gas was $4/gallon is 7 years compared to Nissan Versa. Why would the masses switch to EV if gas is cheaper for the first 7 years? Most people finance or lease the car for 5-6 years, not enough to actually benefit from an EV.

EV technology will eventually get cheaper, and companies will figure out better ways to sell them. Even though a Telsa is out of reach for most, they are paving the way for other car companies to follow.