Thread: Hi ecomodder
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Walbum
EcoModding Lurker

Ulven - '02 VW Lupo 3L
90 day: 76.16 mpg (US)
Hi ecomodder

Hi everyone at ecomodder.

As I'm from Denmark English is not my native language so I'll do my best.

2 years ago in November I bought a lupo 3l. Without knowing any hypermiling techniques I got it to run 73.5 mpg(us) but after half I year I got a bit reckless with the throttle and I was going 65-66 mpg(us).
It's near impossible to go lower than 65mpg(us) without the car being broke or you drive with full throttle all the time.

But last month it became a hobby to get it as low as I could get it again. Over tha last 2 fill ups I'm back to 73.5 mpg(us).

My driving pattern is as follow.

I daily commute 56 miles to work and home again. About half is 15% city and 35% country road and the other half is freeway. The first half have about 8 turns and 6 roundabouts ( we love roundabouts in Denmark ) I drive 49 mph on the country roads and speed down to 31 when I'm with in city limit. My driving stile is that I hit almost full throttle until I'm a few mph above posted speed and then I easy the throttle until I hit the desired speed and I settle the throttle there. I try to anticipate an approach to turns and roundabout ideling in neutral gear for about 1/4 mile before the turn if traffic allows it and when I get close I break with the engine and last hit the breaks if needed. I try to pass turns and roundabout with as high speed as possible within safety of myself and other traffic as I don't have to use all the energy getting to posted speed afterwards.
On the freeway my speed is 68 mph. Half of the freeway only has 2 lanes so I have to over take trucks that are only allowed to drive 56 mph in Denmark. Speed in the outer lane usually 80 mph so I usually have to get to that speed in order to blend into the traffic. Also about 6 miles of the freeway is under construction going from 3 to 4 lanes and that makes traffic jams morning and afternoon doing rubberband driving as we call it.

Mods on the car:

I just got myself a scangauge II. I have done the basic calibration of it and waiting to adjust it with a few fill ups. ( I am really exited to see better numbers as i work on the car with the scangauge )

I got my self some smooth hub caps and a nice grill block that works for both winter and summer.

The car has also been lowered with new shocks and springs all over.

Mods in the planning:

The car have 45hp in Eco mode and 61 out of Eco mode
I plan to give it 90hp and 200 nm out if Eco to be able to hit posted speed faster in order to drive it at low revs at posted speed.

I think I will make some *rear wheel well blocks of polycarbonate as vekke has done on he's lupo 2l

I need new tires soon and will change them to a 7% taller one

Beside that I need some input on what mods I should get myself into. Which ones is the best price/performance to do first ??

A note is that I do not have acces to coroplast here in Denmark and absplast is really expensive here and hard to get.
So if I have to do belly pan it is going to be done in aluminum sheet.

How can I improve on the driving style in order to get better mileage ?? ( I'm not able to go p&g because of traffic.

Hope to get some great supply's from you all

David walbum

Last edited by Walbum; 12-26-2013 at 10:30 AM..