View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

@Yoyoyoda

Many thanks for that response - I had forgot about Eric, I watched his clutch video a few years ago - a DOH! on my part. I also watched his auto trans video just now too.

Firstly your tests - yep, it will pull away on a hill no problem at all. Even a really steep one like the one just under Edinburgh Castle. I have had instances where when I slip from D to R to get onto the drive (uphill) the revs have risen but no progress backwards. A quick slip to N and then back to R usually solves that one - has happened maybe 2-3 times so far.

The fluid and filter are fresh, I had them changed when I got the car at 80K miles. The garage that did it (I trust them) did explain that not all the fluid would be replaced as some does not come out which is what I found online about it. They changed the filter and cleaned out any metallic "fluff" (shavings) from the magnets in the sump - apparently from what I have read there will always be some

They also took time to do the "adaption" process although as they were short-handed that day and I think they might have rushed that element rather than keep me waiting - I was happy to wait but... I did wonder if that was the issue but I have run it myself to check. Again they did explain that to me rather than hide it which is what most garages would do.

Audi state the gearbox is sealed for life, but that is a myth like Audis never rust Because of this I don't think there is a dipstick on the trans based on numerous Google and Google Image searches. There is a level check bolt and a filler bolt - the idea being you fill it up until the fluid pours out but this is hard to get to.

I will get the fluid level checked though this week and see what happens.

As I posted above though it has behaved more or less perfectly for the past week or so - smooth most of the time, the occasional 2-3 "lunge" where the revs rise in 2, pause at the same rate, and then suddenly drop as 3 comes in and the car lunges forward.

One other issue I have noticed is that sometimes when in D at a standstill there is a rumbling noise in time with the engine at idle so coming from the trans maybe. When I shift to N it goes away. It only happens sometimes though. The last time this happened I stopped somewhere for 10 mins and then restarted and it was fine again for the rest of the day. Engine mount maybe, exhaust perhaps vibrating against the floor at certain temps ? Who knows.

Enjoyed the brief blob of snow we had with AWD though