View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Mista Bone
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Those are interesting, but I don't think a timing map and a BSFC map are the same. Vacuum would be a good way to measure engine load. But I don't see information about fuel consumption at these loads. I see power production but not fuel consumption for that power. Most of the BSFC maps I have seen show sweet spots at lower RPMs. A car that might produce the most power at 5000 RPMs might produce its most efficient power at 2000 RPMs. I have looked many times for a stock BSFC map for my Civic online. Never found one. But you can find examples on this site, if you search for BSFC maps. (BTW, stock timing on my 98 DX is 12 BTDC, not 16... 22 BTDC must have meant very lean conditions, no?)
With less load due to the higher rpms, the chipped ECU allowed more total timing which allowed more time for the lean mixture to burn as completely as possible. When I would encounter a hill or overtake another vehicle I would stay in the higher timing range unlike with a longer geared transmission you'd end up with way less timing, as you can see on the timing maps I posted.

The big thing is, I'm allowed to easily play with the engine tuning parameters, 96 and up it is not so easy. Now if you could, you could see some gains.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mista Bone For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-13-2014)