Thread: Hello from NJ!
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I don't know if you could find low rolling resistance (LRR) tires suitable for what you want in your 4Runner. It isn't a bad idea, but you say you do go off road once in a while. LRR probably won't shine off the pavement, and it can be quite a buzzkill to have to switch in a different set of wheels before you can go play.
Valid. If off-roading is something that is done, a set of LRR might not be the tire to buy. I think sand would be okay; I've never gotten suck in sand with a set of regular tires on a 4x4. I did get stuck in sand very quickly with a set of mud tires. They were very good at moving the sand from under the tire to behind the tire instead of rolling the truck forward. But, if there is mud involved, I don't think there is an LRR that can compete with true off road tires.

Then again, if this is a wheeling vehicle, it might not hurt to have a set of off-road tires. For example, a set of Super Swampers would really increase the ability of most trucks, but they wear quickly and are expensive. It might be a better idea to commute with the LRR's and then swap on the Swampers for a day in the mud.

I knew/know guys who "off road" in their Jeeps and lifted trucks. They waste so much money because they commute on Swamper Boggers, Thornbirds, etc. Some of them don't even off road; they just want the look. A new set of tires every year (or less) adds up.