View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Beware of thin layers of flattened snow when it is just freezing, that is about as slippery as can be. I've seen cars leave the road at a steady 25 mph because they could not keep it straight.
Keep double the distance you would otherwise.

Only thing more slippery is when supercooled rain puts a layer of ice on the road.
The rules for driving on that are simple: Don't.
It's fine for ice skating, we have a picture of my sister skating in the street.

Good quality snow tires make a big difference, yet even those have way less grip in the snow than the worst tires you can buy would have on the dry.
And they can't stand the heat very well. If you'd buy them in Florida they would probably be shot before you reach the cold bits.
Don't bother or buy them locally if you get scared.

Be more careful than other traffic. They are probably locals, are used to the conditions and likely have winter tires. You'd lose grip before they do.

If you travel long distances through the cold always take something to eat, something to drink (containing sugar) and something to keep you warm with you like a blanket or two.
If you happen to get stuck chances are you cannot get anywhere on foot either, and with no engine running it won't take long before its is just as 'warm' inside the car as outside.
Better be prepared than worried.

I too have done me handbrake turn practices and ABS brake testing when nobody was around. Have fun

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-16-2014 at 02:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (09-17-2014)