View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Electricians - Electrical Install Question

I am planning to install a 15A outdoor outlet 30 ft away from the garage.

Yesterday I finished boring under the concrete pathway and installed a PVC pipe to route the cable underneath.

My first question is, what is the minimum code depth for direct burying my 14 awg UF-B cable in Vancouver, WA. I see conflicting info on the web, and looking up the code from the state/county seems impossible.

This site says I only need to bury the cable 12" deep. Other sources say I need to bury 24", and even up to 30".

I'm planning to piggyback this outdoor circuit off of an interior outlet, directly opposite of the interior junction box. I haven't installed this interior outlet yet. Is it acceptable to piggyback outlets on a circuit that is currently only used for garage lighting? I think I will run a new breaker for this new run, since the extra distance isn't too far, but I'm just curious what my other options are. Should I instead put the 2 new outlets on the same circuit that currently handles the existing 3 garage electrical outlets?

I understand that the circuit will require a GFCI prior to exiting the structure, so I will make the new interior outlet be GFCI.

Finally, I would like to run a water line through the same PVC conduit that goes under the concrete pathway to install a sprinkler system. Does code allow for water and electric to run in the same conduit?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!