View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
cosmick
Experienced UAW Mechanic

BULL!
The way Ford locked up those converters wasn't good, which improved to the GM way by the time the AOD evolved into the 4R70W, but the AOD is strong enough that its core components can be retained in builds for 1000-HP Mustangs.
Using OD in a big van, hauling a heavy load, is something I do A LOT of.
The old myth of cruising at TQ peak is not borne out by modern testing of modern OD vehicles.
I didn't say 3.27:1 would be perfect, just using the next ratio down ( up numerically ) as an example.
My cost "estimates" aren't estimates at all, I go to Pick-N-Pull several times every year, doing these swaps myself for my own vehicles and for my friends. If you won't do the labor or can't choose good parts from a good yard, that's on you, not me.
The C6 is inefficient junk, a built C4 can hold just as much power with dramatically quicker elapsed times, despite virtually-identical ratios, proving the inefficiency of the C6.
You want to put an E4OD low-ratio set in your C6 to allow a 2.73:1 axle? Fine, try that.
You want to swap a B&M TorkMaster 2000 torque converter to drop another 150 RPM at cruise? Fine, do that.
But you can't approach my results by telling me I'm wrong when I'm not.