View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byates View Post
Current ride is an Aerostar. Astro and Toyota don't have the footroom. Trying to find an early Transport to see how it fits. Maybe Mazda or Nissan?
You may want to give more info on what you are looking for in a vehicle.

I was quite surprised at the relatively roomy interior for passengers when I test drove Vera Lynn ('15 Nissan Versa Note). My mother got an older auto Versa hatchback after riding in mine (think it's an 09 with CVT) and it got 31mpg on the only tank ran though so far. Size felt about the same, but I've never been in a Versa sedan. I don't really hypermile, although I coast down hills a lot and don't drive like I'm in a race but do regularly pass plenty of other cars. I've broken 40 mpg in a tank but usually am in the mid 30s.

For a size comparison, I'm 6.0 ft tall, currently 210 pounds with a 32 inch inseam, broad shoulders, and wear a normal size 12 shoe. I drive with the seat about midway in the travel adjustment and I can get out of the drivers seat and into the back seat and have tons of legroom to give you an idea. But if you happen to be a heavy guy I imagine the bucket seat won't be too comfortable.

If the Astro and Toyotas don't have the footroom you desire I'm fairly positive your feet would be claustrophobic if you desire a stick shift. There's plenty of forward room but sideways might feel cramped for you. It also has the typical compact car knee issue, where depending on how you sit your knee may bump the center dash.

Typing this out made me curious about how much headroom it has. Sitting normally I have 4 inches to the headliner and I measured from the headliner straight down to the seat and it was 39 inches. Obviously depending on how leaned back a person drives this would increase.