View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
HalfBreed
EcoModding Lurker

Cool A quick hello from the middle of nowhere

Hey there everyone!! My name is Shon and I've been lurking on this site for quite some time. I finally decided to get registered and get some questions answered and get some of my ideas out there for others to build off of.

A bit about me:

I'm a college student so saving money right now (with a baby on the way) is a big concern for us. I purchased a 2003 VW Jetta TDI (absolutely LOVE this car) for the ~50 mpg that they are known for. I've never been really serious about getting the most mpg out of my car, but it has been on my mind for months and I think that it could be fun. I am already having fun trying to beat my last tank averages.

Now, being on the budget I am of college dude with a kid on the way, I am going to attempt to do as much as I can for as cheap as I can. I am hoping to do all of my fabricating and design myself. My goal with this car is to see an exceptional difference in mpgs as well as keeping the car "cool-ish" looking. I want to retain all of the creature comforts that I use the most (full interior, radio, power windows). My focus to begin is going to be aero mods, as I believe that I could fabricate some body mods cheaper than modding the engine and trans.

I don't know how soon I will be able to get started with mods as we are living in a TINY apartment and my wife lets me get away with a few things like a motorcycle in the kitchen, but I doubt she would let me use the closet to store car parts lol So I am on the hunt for a working space (storage, garage, shop). In the meantime, I will be posting pics and ideas that I have in order to get feedback before making a full commitment toward any project.

As for my first "mod", I am looking into getting something like ScanGaugeII to get a baseline before making too many changes to affect my fuel consumption. I've been reading about apps such as Torque and iRev that can be used with a tablet or smartphone. I am still reading/researching to figure what will be the cheapest and smartest route for me to go there.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. Just wanted to say hello and get myself out there. Looking forward to chatting with some of you about ideas and getting and giving feedback.

Shon