View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Faster Acceleration ... reaches higher amounts of wind resistance sooner.

If traveling the same distance .. and the same cruising speed .. The faster acceleration will have a higher average speed .. will require more energy.

If traveling the same distance .. and the same average speed .. the faster acceleration would than have to travel at a slower cruising speed in order to average the same speed .. a slower cruising speed would reduce the energy needed.

I suspect there is also a psychological aspect to the average type of person who accelerates quickly ... vs the type that does so slowly .. and I suspect that the net overall beneficial psychological type for energy or fuel efficiency .. is the slower accelerating psychology... Even if the specific causes of that net benefit may not necessarily be in the acceleration rate itself .. But in the overall method that type of psychology approaches numerous types of driving conditions/options.

- - - -
I would Ditto the BSFC points made previously .. but with the caveat .. there can be variation from that +/- caused by the differences between energy efficiency vs fuel efficiency .. for different contexts.