View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
You mean on sports and or turbo cars.

My (turbo) Fiat will do enrichment pretty early. My 2014 Renault is very reluctant to go into enrichment and my old school cable throttled Jeep has heaps of power below 2000 and won't do enrichment at all unless road speed is over 50mph.
That's a Jeep though, I was thinking more like Corolla. My MR2 had a 1ZZ-FE and even pulling a 2200lb car, it groans loudly but doesn't really go below 2000rpm. Newer economy cars can go open loop at lower rpms these days too. The manufacturer is incentivized to make the engine run rich if they don't need the excess power while running government tests since the consumer is the one paying for the extra fuel, and it helps keep the replacement rates on the cats under warranty down.

I also suspect that a Renault (who doesn't sell cars in the US) sold in Australia would have a different fueling map than a US market car for regulation or cost reasons.

Now that you bring a counterexample up though, I feel like I need to go put the OBDII scanner on the other cars in the family and see...heh.