Thread: Didn't die.
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Didn't die.

So I figured I would post this as a success even though I was deer/elk hunting and returned empty handed. Had an exciting day today. Was hunting 2 miles south of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I followed a couple of whitetail deer up the side a a hill and upon cresting the top at an angle toward where the deer were heading I paused to try and spot where they went over the other side. When I glanced over my other shoulder there stood a mamma grizzly with an older cub 30 yards away. I was not ready for that, she would have been on my back before I even new she was there if she wanted. Thankfully the mamma turned and ran and the cub followed. Beautiful sight, knew it was possible in that area but just didn't expect it. Had a rifle but would have been tough to get off a single shot that close and impossible to aim through a 9 power scope. Had a .40 S&W but it didn't even have a round chambered (a practice I will change). Came home early empty handed but pretty excited about the bears. I have tomorrow and Tuesday off so may go try a different area LOL!

Anyway on actual topic I got my best MPG towing the camper there and back. 14.5 mpg up and 16.8 mpg home! I had a bearing go out last trip and so I replaced all the bearings on that side. I didn't have time to do the other side but look forward to maybe even better next time. The 14.5 came Friday afternoon with heavy traffic across town and then 55-60mph on the highway which follows a river uphill a bit. The return trip was obviously slightly downhill and with light Sunday afternoon traffic across town.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-25-2015), MobilOne (10-27-2015)