View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
Swordsmith
EcoModding Lurker

My experience as a purely casual eco driver is that I get much better economy by following simple granny driving technique; I accelerate relatively slowly, get to the speed limit, and stay there until I see that I will have to slow down, which I do as early as possible, avoiding the need to apply brakes.

It's quite possible that I could do even better by accelerating harder, getting to speed earlier.

But one thing I can say for sure, driving like I normally do; accelerating like I'm on a quarter mile drag strip, zipping along 19 miles over the speed limit, braking late, and generally enjoying my power-modified little Sonic, I get almost exactly 2/3rds the mpg that I do driving "granny style."

I don't know how that breaks down, it seems unlikely to me that the acceleration part really matters much at all since it's only for a few seconds every now and then, whether jackrabbit or turtle style, a tiny portion of my overall drive distance. But it puts me in the mood to do the rest of the "drive gently" regimen, and -that- matters a lot.

Last edited by Swordsmith; 11-05-2015 at 07:29 AM..