View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
hit440
EcoModding Lurker

2004 Honda Insight purchase?

hello all, im looking to purchase a 2004 Honda Insight with 149,000miles, I dont know anything about these cars so looking for advice before i jump in. I test drove it twice yesterday ran fine, no CEL or IMA on the dash so i can only assume the battery is good. There were some rattles coming from the front passenger side, but i did notice that the hood was loose and the front bumper shroud as well. but car accelerates ok, handles well at 70 mph. it has some cosmetic wear on interior and exterior but no signs of extreme damage. The motor sounds good, no knocks or pings coming from it. And the transmission and clutch all shift well

I guess my biggest question is should I be concerned about the battery pack, i have no idea how long the car as been on the lot or how long it has sat not running. I just want to know if this will be a lemon and i need to walk away from it.

I called the local Honda dealership it has no extended warranty on it either.

Can i run this car with a bad pack and still get at least 30 mpg?

How hard is it to replace the battery pack I saw Dorman makes a reman pack for this car, im pretty mechanically inclined on autos, but dont know a thing about these hybrid car systems?

Last edited by hit440; 05-06-2016 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: added comment about trans