View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
warlocksyno
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb 1989 Dodge Daytona ES 2.5L N/A

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to stop in and see if any one would have some ideas on my cars. I think I currently get somewhere between 28-32MPG on it right now.

I have two 1989 Dodge Daytona ES 2.5L N/A 3-speed cars. Wanting to see if I could use one of them to get some pretty decent MPG out of. One of them is getting a 3.8L Chrysler V6 swapped into it, so that probably wouldn't be a good candidate for obvious reasons. But the other one is free game.

Now, I'm a very active poster over on Turbo Mopar and Turbo Dodge where there's tons and tons of information on these cars. They're mostly about power adders though. Though I have seen people posting their MPG hear and there. There seems to be reports of people getting 42MPG in their 2.2L turbo cars with the 5-speed trans. That's after heaving modding for power too. Including bigger injectors, larger turbo, and 3" exhaust with no cat.

I have a 2.5L engine with a sloppy 3-speed auto. So I know the first boosts to speed and fuel economy would be swapping to the 5-speed trans.

Here's a list of ideas I've had to increase the MPG:
  • 5-Speed Transmission
  • TBI to MPFI
  • .5"-1" drop
  • Eco Tires
  • Headers
  • 2.5" exhaust
  • Rear seat removal (so tiny that no adult can sit back there)
  • Hot air intake
  • 3.3L Springs (easier for the motor to rev)

I think the only thing that is kind of sucky about the N/A part so setup is the pumping losses. A turbo might actually help the fuel economy slightly.

Let me know what you guys think!