View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Good job Ninj4geek finding that box and executing the install.

I've been comparing your box to the one I had. The Dewalt 08204 Tuff System box. Your box is slightly wider, considerably longer, and considerably shorter (+.8 wider, +2.6 longer, and 1.9 shorter). Overall, my Dewalt calculates out to 4832 cu inches and yours 4680; exterior dimensions, if the Dewalt specs are accurate. But in reality, your box almost certainly has more interior space than the one I had, because the Dewalt does not use efficient use of space with all those indentions inside of it even with the grooves cut out.

With my bike, taller is likely better, because of my upright seating, a tall box or tail would more likely help reduce drag, since, even if I tuck, I can only partially tuck and can't really lay my body out like on a sport bike. The ideal width for me is questionable. I'm a small person, and the 14" box was just about ideal for my profile, however, the fairing of the bike is a little wider than my body, and so 15" may reduce turbulence better. It's really hard to say. The crate I've got on there now is close to 15, and I've been getting upper 70s for commuting and around 80 for long, slow rides in hot weather. Length is also questionable, but could be studied mathematically for each of our bikes. The length of a tail for lowest drag depends on the length of the nose and/or total length of the bike, which is why a super-long tail may actually create more turbulence unless a longer nose is also put on a bike. This probably explains why Scott's does so well at increasing his mpg even though it doesn't continue the angle all the way to a point. Doing so would have likely hurt his drag as compared to what he built. Whether or not he calculated this or got lucky, I'm not sure.

Tony Foale Designs, article on motorcycle aerodynamics.