View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
1994 Diesel Suburban Build

Hello all. I acquired a 1994 K2500 Diesel GMC Suburban to build up to eventually replace my 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

There were a lot of drivers into this decision. My basic requirement was low long term cost of ownership balancing cost, MPG, maintenance, insurance, etcetera. In addition the vehicle had to have room for my family and friends, able to tow and haul, and had to be 4x4. After significantly overanalyzing vehicle options (understatement) I decided a factory diesel 90s model GMT-400 Suburban was the right vehicle for what I need/want, realizing it will take some work to get it to the MPG I wish to hit.

I am very familiar with this GMT-400 platform having owned and worked on a 1991 K2500 LD truck, and several good parts from this truck will be swapped over (NV4500, NP241, etcetera). The suburban I got has 210k on the clock, but I plan on replacing the powertrain anyway and will eventually rebuild most of the major systems to end up with a like new vehicle. It functions now but I won’t be driving it until I get the powertrain rebuilt and have confidence it is reliable as I have no need for another vehicle until it can replace my Tacoma.

My short term goal is to hit 30 MPG consistently. My long term goal is to hit 40 MPG on most tanks. I think my current plan I will outline in a few posts below will get me at least to the first goal, the second goal will probably take lots of optimization of details beyond what is listed.

Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions, I post to get input and feedback.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban.JPG
Views:	1618
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	20719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban (2).JPG
Views:	1496
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	20720