View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #2891 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by arber333 View Post
Paul i am working on encoder mount now and will mount it the same way as resolver is mounted. Now since i have open collector A, B, Z signals i will have to pull them up to 5V with resistors. Can you suggest R value? I see you use 1K resistors to protect micro pins. Do i use 1K also, or could i use 4.7K. Or should i rather use 470R to make ports react faster? Or would you recommend changing input resistors from 1K to 470R?
RLS has 20mA draw limit for their encoder chip.
4K7 is fine, in my opinion. The encoder does not need to react fast - it needs to react consistently. If the signal rises high enough to qualify as ON and falls low enough to qualify as OFF that's all that's required. It can look like a sine wave or a triangle even. But channel A needs to rises before channel B one direction, and channel B rises before channel A the other direction. My cables were made of unshielded category 5 solid-core 22 AWG wire, they were unshielded, I used a voltage divider on the signals since it was fed with 24V and the micro wanted a 5V signal, and there were contacts held together with duct tape. It worked fine for testing ... I would do it a bit better than that for the permanent install ... The scope showed is was very noisy, but it worked.