Thread: Hello from PA
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin762 View Post
Wait so low end torque is not valuable efficiency wise?
I actually meant to say that low-end torque is a valuable asset efficiency-wise, but it seems that you misunderstood me. I don't blame you for that, since I'm not a native speaker of English.

Quote:
Since high rpm band is not really a thing for me, (engine never really gets above 3500 EVER) and since ive mostly been involved with the off road community, low end torque has always been my goal. I always thought the less i have to step on the gas the better, right?
Now you got it right. The less you have to step on the gas, the better.

Quote:
I did always think it odd that aside from differential gear ratios, there's not a whole lot of aftermarket parts that advertise: BIG TORQUE GAINS until a car salesman friend of mine told me car owners buy horsepower, but drive torque. I think that means horsepower is just a flashier word, while torque is what you actually feel when driving.
Carroll Shelby used to say that horsepower sells cars and torque wins races.

Quote:
like i said earlier, im trying not to regear, because while it will get me up to speed faster, I think it will limit my efficiency at cruising speed. it will be like being in low gear all the time will it not?
If you get a lower final drive ratio, that would be quite like stucking on low range, but if you were going to rebuild the engine focusing on low-end torque improvements you could get a higher differential ratio to keep the cruising speed at a lower RPM.