View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #3032 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I used one of the AC control/driver boards to make a 240v/120v split phase inverter, so that there are 2 120v supplies, and a neutral. The 2 120v supplies are 180 degrees out of phase, so you can use the 2 hots to make the 240vAC.
This is GREAT news! Looking forward to seeing that code!

Does the inverter deal with the current surge drawn by an induction motor starting up, like an air conditioner, or a water pump?

It may make sense to have an option for soft start, where the inverter ramps up from 0.5 Hz to 60 Hz in 2 - 5 seconds to avoid that 5 to 10 times rated current surge from a single connected motor.

Quote:
Oh, and you can just change one little setting, and boom, you have 3 phase power at your house! 208v 3 phase up to 480v 3 phase.
YET MORE AWESOME PROGRESS!

I just happen to have a 30 HP, 575V, 3 phase motor that I can use to stress the startup of a 3 phase 'supply'.

Sounds like I will have to start working on connecting the 2 AC Controller boards that I have. I really want to get the split phase output working at a 48V buss so that I can run a sump pump in the spring ... using a golf cart as the power supply. I will try running at 60 Hz, but I doubt that the motor on the sump pump will operate properly at the lower voltage ... I guess I'll see ...

Assuming that I get any of this done ..
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (02-28-2017)