View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
I had an 01 Explorer Sport (2 door) and it did surprisingly OK in the millage department, and was a lot of fun in the bush with the anti-sway bars disconnected, longer shocks, longer shackles and the front torsion bars torqued. Man that thing could flex.

Even if you are getting rid of it soon I would still get the scanguage. You can always keep it when you change vehicles.

I bought my Explorer with 108,000 km on it, and sold it a few years later with 380,000 km. It went through a couple front ends in that time and a few sets of shocks. I had wheel bearings implode, shackles collapse, tie rods get bent, and the exhaust system fell off a couple times. There was always something wrong with it, but the engine and transmission were solid. Sometimes I wonder what kind of millage I would have gotten if it was maintained better.

I ran into the guy that bought it a few years after I sold it, and he said it's been trouble free. I guess I replaced everything that could have broken. I wonder if it's still on the road.