View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #3084 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by arber333 View Post
Its been a while. I got AB encoder on my motor and want to test it.
https://www.rls.si/products/rotary-m...r-tooth-sensor
Its like you said 5V - 24V powered magnetic encoder. How did you separately power it? So did you uncouple + 5v wire on encoder harness and use 24V?
My encoder uses an 8 pin round, so I had to make an adapter anyway. I connected the grounds together, using the 24V that powers the controller board (Paul's 12V/24V DC/DC converter) to power the encoder. When I first connected the grounds together, I did the connection with a 1K resistor first and I checked for current flow in case it caused an issue. This power scheme seems to work OK.

Quote:
I can also use cars 13.8Vdc.
I would avoid an unfiltered power supply. I have not blown up an encoder as yet, but I have killed many a piece of electronics by connecting it to 13.8V in an car. It's a noisy, nasty power supply at best. A small DC/DC supply is well worth it.

Quote:
What kind of resistors did you use for pullup to get good signal?
I had 1K and .. 5K2 I think .. kicking around my bench. The input current to the micro is not really noticeable. My target was 4.5V, I calculated 4.6V and I measured just over 4.4V. The resistors are +/- 5%. I think the current was under 4 mA.

Quote:
Do you have 1K resistors from connector to chip pins or did you remove them? How do they interact?
I have 1K resistors in series with the chip inputs. I don't recommend *EVER* removing the series resistors from chip inputs. Even for testing. My clumsiness translates to shorted pins ... and letting out the magic smoke! My scope probes are a bit big to clip onto the chip pins, so I measured on the resistor. 4.4V was enough.

Quote:
It seems my inverter does not want to run run-rotor-test command....
It's a journey ... keep eliminating barriers and you'll get there!