View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #3086 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I just got back from Washington/Oregon. More fun than a barrel of monkeys! A couple days ago we got the Nissan Leaf fixed (I added a metal side sheet metal thing to replace the smashed one), then I drove it up to Mesa, which was like 45 miles away (freeway speeds the whole time). They changed the title from "salvage" to "not salvage" haha. So then we got the license plates, and stuff like that yesterday.

I don't have batteries right now for the solar, so my plan was to dump the MPPT. Just before heading up to washington, I added 4 more panels to bring the total up to 24 at 280watt each. Now the open circuit voltage is around 510v or so. So, now I'm just going to feed that right to the inverter, and I'll just reduce the PWM duty so it stays constant at 340v peak to peak for the waveforms. That way, depending on load, the solar voltage will be all over the place, but it won't matter as long as it doesn't sag below 340v. So that will mean I can use the panels at whatever power I need up to their maximum power until the sun goes down. That's good enough until I can get a battery pack. Ideally I would just charge the friggen leaf pack with the chademo port, but they charge a ridiculous sum for the connector. Alternatively, I was going to add anderson connectors underneath the hood in parallel with the "stupid $9,000,000,000 connector".
HaroldinCR (04-06-2017), thingstodo (04-06-2017)