View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Saw the vid. Found his comments on the way the car drove a bit strange - a mixture of perfectly fair and way off-base. I always thought the gearshift was fantastic, for instance - certainly very much like other Hondas I've driven (including Type Rs, albeit perhaps not quite as precise as those). And I also found mine fun to throw about. Not a lot of grip, but the light weight really helps, and it still drives like the small, light car it is.

Admittedly I've not driven an old EF or EG-era Civic, and I know those are considered the archetypal small, light, nimble Hondas, but given the Insight's single-minded focus on economy it's still pretty good fun, and I think his assessment was perhaps a little unfair.

There is of course the possibility that the car he drove wasn't a great example of the Insight - it looked a little rough (missing a few trim pieces), and if the gearbox and say, dampers were both shot, then it'd not be nearly as fun.

RCR is great at doing a social commentary, and I always enjoy that aspect of the videos. But I don't think people should pay too much attention to what he actually thinks of the cars themselves. Actual professional reviews of the Insight were always a lot more positive...