View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
No, it's bogus. it's not a 'little'.
it's a lie.
'mostly true' ?????? wth does that mean!
It's made up.
Has nothing to do with 'relative magnitude' compared to something else.
97 is a specific number. not an estimate or guess.
5 pages (and there are actually more- but I didn't want to 'exagerate' ) debunk the claim.
Mostly true means mostly true. 97+% of all papers published on GW endorse the position that humans contribute to global warming. 97+% of the top 200 climate researchers believe humans contribute to GW as do 97+% of earth scientists who currently publish. All those are factual statements.

At the same time, not all scientific communities have the same level of consensus. the AMS surveyed 1800 meteorologists and found that only 73% believe humans contribute to global warming.

Quote:
Beyer said "over 97 percent of the scientific community" believe humans are contributing to climate change.

The studies Beyer and others cite do not reflect the scientific community at large. They are surveys that focus on the conclusions of climatologists, earth scientists and meteorologists. The studies found that overwhelming majorities of these experts - sometimes, but not always as high as 97 percent - say humans are contributing to global warming.

Beyer’s statement is credible but needs elaboration. We rate it Mostly True.
A more accurate statement would be to quantify which surveys are being referenced and present all of the survey results. The links in your post aren't working for me, but my guess is that anyone claiming to "debunk" those figures is mostly wrong. They're a little right insofar as not all surveys have 97+%, and those should be included as well. Those surveys don't invalidate the other surveys showing that 97+% of the top 200 climate and earth scientists who publish believe humans contribute to climate change, as do 97+% of all papers published on the subject.

Last edited by roflwaffle; 05-29-2017 at 04:20 PM..