View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
But this forum has nothing to do with nukes.

Global warming is an entirely different threat to humanity, and it actually sorta has something to do with ecomodder.com which is that fossil fuel usage on a ludicrous scale can slowly change the composition of our atmosphere and its climate characteristics...

So in this thread, there's no need to talk about nukes or nuclear power plants because they're totally off topic. I don't go to epilepsy forums and tell them, "You know actually epilepsy isn't a big deal, we should focus on early childhood leukemia, that's the REAL problem."
Talk of global warming in this forum is more like going into a general health forum and only wanting to talk about Fatal Familial Insomnia; a disease that affects about 100 people worldwide. It's a very serious disease that is catastrophic for relatively few people. Even though it's serious, talking about it more than other health concerns would be silly.

People misplace their attention and worry on things a. outside their control, and b. on unlikely threats to their wellbeing.

I'm on car forums where people rant about how unsafe it is to buy a car with a reconstructed title because the wheels might fall off and kill you.

I'll point out to them that a reconstructed title isn't going to kill me. Neither will global warming. You know what is going to kill me? Heart disease.

Shouldn't the amount of discussions in the media and online be in proportion to their actual threat to our well-being?

How much of news is devoted to talking about terrorism? How many people do you know killed by terrorism compared to heart disease or cancer?

There will be no tombstones saying "here lies redpoint, succumbed to global warming".

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Why do you think those things are separate from climate change?
Because all of these problems have existed before the invention of worrying about global climate change.

Sure, global warming might have a slight positive or negative impact on some of these problems, but they won't go away by trying to mess with the outdoor thermostat.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-30-2017 at 08:14 PM..