View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Good discussion. Thanks for the input everyone.

I'd like to get some others' input on one other topic regarding this event. How small can one go ride wise, for this particular challenge; the mid-Ohio, and finish without getting passed or being in real danger on the interstate stretch? And also, if there are those out there with experience regarding specific smaller rides that can maintain a little over 70, even on grades, fairly safely, please give those examples. I'm not referring to only valid grocery carriers that can actually win a class or the overall crown, but rides that meet all other conditions of the ride, but can finish the ride. For example, are there any 125 class or 150 class? Are there other 200 class? Just wondering how capable some smaller class engine rides can be and if more, smaller vehicles could cut the mustard if they were fully streamlined?

2014 Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge, Vintage Days

At the 2014 event, I was surprised a little that there were two, 200 cc class rides; one dual-purpose motorcycle and one Vespa scooter. Both finished; they finished 2nd and 3rd as a measure of cost/mile and mpg if we look only at non-streamlined and only liquid-fueled bikes; and in fact, the scooter actually gained ground on the front half of the group where the full group had gotten split during the ride due to logistics. I know this, because I was at the tail of the front group, and once on the interstate, I began to see a single headlight behind me that over time, got closer behind me. My speed was pretty constant in behind the next rider for quite a time (at least a few minutes) at 72-73 mph. My speedometer is very accurate, and our group was being slowly caught up with by a Vespa 200 rider while traveling at or about 73 mph, which I found out after we got off the interstate and the Vespa caught all the way up. Later, I went to that rider and spoke with him. He said that his scooter will register at or about 83 running WOT, but that he thinks it's optimistic considerably, and that, when running top speed, it becomes unstable and a little unnerving.

That year at the mid-Ohio, we did not have any of the CBR250R guys there that generally show up these days. For stock or stock-like bikes, there were basically only five that were serious fuel savers in the group that probably thought they had a chance to out do the other stock machines. There were several 1 liter plus bikes; most all of them finished in low-to-mid fifties. Below is how the best stock like rides came in that year which is also on the link above under "results". For some reason, someone decided to include the Hayes machine in the top tier list that year, so they were giving preference to a grocery carrier over finishers. That's a complaint for another day, but results are not being published that way lately anyway, so it doesn't much matter.

1. Hayes Diesel AT (KTR650) 138.48 / $.0274 DNF-only 46 miles
2. CTX700 (2014) 101.85 / $.0330 Could not carry
3. DR200 (2004) 81.78 / $.0410 Could not carry
4. GT200 (2005) 71.20 / $.0472 Could not carry
5. FT500 Ascot (198--something) 68.29 / $.0492 Could not carry

Any respectful and thoughtful comments are welcome regarding displacement, horsepower capability, wheel size, etc. I'm posting this to learn things, so please give your opinion about these matters. Is there a perfect size for a highway capable ride? Or are there several ways to accomplish the same goal? Or many variables to consider?