View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
That's odd. I would have expected the looser the chain, the better.
Yeah you guys would know more than me. I came to riding for the first time at age 45 and started on a really great scooter; a Piaggio BV350. I originally thought and worried a lot about choosing a chain-driven bike when trading the BV that averaged 10 mpg less on the same commute at the same approximate speeds but with half the engine displacement. Thought it would be a lot of hassle adjusting and worrying about oiling and cleaning, but soon learned that there is really not that much to maintaining it; still on the original chain/sprocket and only two adjustments so far; quit worrying about cleaning it and just use a waxy lube and don't worry about it; and it has lasted a good, long time. Additionally, there will be much less to replacing or repairing it when that time comes compared to a typical scooter drive system.

It may be, even though I've not noticed it, that I'm letting it get so loose that it's slipping just a bit now and then. When it happened the first time, it was cooler weather, and my mpg dropped from around 70 to 65; I thought it was just due to the colder weather dropping my mpg more; but I starting noticing a slip now and then; adjusted it; and the mileage came back up to around 70. This time around, It didn't get so loose that I noticed any slippage. The need for adjustment seems to happen in a short time period, so maybe I need to make this like a weekly check; instead of about every two months. Soon after the event, I think it'll be time for a new chain and sprockets anyway. I'm at about 14K miles and the bike is coming up on 4 yrs old, everything still looks decent but there is just a tad of wear on the chain, so I'd say it's about time.