Thread: New tyres.
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
New tyres.

Yesterday I had two new tyres fitted to my car and what a detrimental effect it has made to my fuel efficiency. The tyres that were on the car car were just bog standard, run of the mill tyres (not LLR or the like), as are the ones that have replaced them. The old tyres were down below 3mm tread so it was time to replace them.
On the 10 miles home from the garage, via a familiar route, I found that the coasting was being curtailed and on the DFCO downhill sections my speed was a lot lower at the end.
As soon as I got back to my own garage I checked my tyre pressures, and they were at manufacturers recommended figure for the car. This morning I increased the cold tyre pressures to my slightly elevated norm and on the usual commuter run I noticed the same effect.
I know that no two tyres will give exactly the same FE, but I sincerely hope that once all the pips and edges are worn off these tyres I will get back to what I was getting before.
Who would have thought?