View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
I wish I could take your manual in my 02 4.0 SOHC. Last tank I pulled 27.6. if I had manual trans I would guess closer to 31-32 with no EOC. Mostly short drives under 20 miles. I think 1 was 13 miles to town grocery shopping then 13 miles home. Warmer weather helps obviously. From mpg standpoint SOHC seems to be all around better. Roof rack xbar delete seemed to help but I blocked the main opening for the radiator during last 1/4 tank as well I believe. So can't attribute any exact numbers. Original tanks when the wife drove it were around 18-20 though so would say 8-9 mpg improvement lol. Before tweaking things my first tanks we're about 22. I have a cracked rear drivers coil springs and will be hockey pucking it to stabilize. Poor man's replacement lol.
Hello 14'ecocruze,

If you are up for a project, 2002 was the last year a manual could be had in the 4-door Explorer, so the swap could be done with all factory parts. Or you find one that's in great shape with a blown motor (2002 SOHC's are still in the window for poor factory design on cam timing chain tensioners.) and swap your good one in.

My trans won't fit your truck - changed from M50DR1 to M5ODR1HD or similar in 2001 and the bellhousing has an extra hole to fit the SOHC. An SOHC trans will bolt to an OHV, but not vice-versa.

If you want EOC in your auto trans rig, you'll need to do something like what they do to auto trans vehicles for RV flat-towing - add an electric pump to keep the fluid circulating. You'll need a hydraulic diagram to get it hooked in right, and to verify that you can get fluid flow to the places that need it for lube without extensive tapping and porting of the valve body. You'll still lose power steering, power brakes, and A/C, but at least you won't burn up the trans.

As for the cracked rear coil spring, you should be able to find one in a pull-a-part yard, or via car-part.com salvage yard site, or similar, not too expensively. All the tools can be rented, but you may need a chunk of credit or debit to cover the tool price while you have it - the part store by me has me basically buy and return. You break it, you keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
Have you made any advances towards an air dam out of the conveyor belt. I am looking to do something of those sorts on mine. Don't know if you know of Al(RIP). He's the only guy I know of that had consistently managed 30+ mpg (SOHC). Must break 30 is all I can say. I put 25 as the manageble limit without EOC on the OHV. Good luck on your wrenching endevours.
No progress on any mods, still playing whack-a-mole with repair needs as they arise. Have a right rear axle seal leaking, need to tear apart the parking brake mechanisms on both sides to get the parking brake functioning, need to install the shocks up front, etc....

Good luck to you, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to cajunfj40 For This Useful Post:
ecocruze (09-07-2017)