View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
freddyzdead
EcoModding Lurker

Australia went metric in 1972. After all these years, I still can't extract any useful information out of a measurement of litres per 100 km. I have to convert it to miles per gallon, or even kilometres per litre before I can use it.

The odd thing about this car, and many other Daihatsus, as far as I can tell, is that although it has an OBDII connector under the dash, I have never found any reader that can communicate with it. Also, even though it has the usual MIL in the instrument cluster, it has never come on, except when the ignition is on with the motor stopped. There is a problem with the engine, which I first thought was a broken wire, because it would start missing and spluttering, and black smoke would be coming out the exhaust until I finally found that pulling on a bundle of wires in the main engine loom corrected it. And tying the wires to a fixed object seemed to cure it for awhile. But now I think it's a bad plug connection between the engine and the ECU, which is inside the passenger cabin behind the glove box. I don't have enough dexterity to find this plug, but in a desperate attempt to get to the bottom of the problem, I unwrapped about 8" of the bundle and pulled pretty hard on each individual wire. After that, there was no sign of the trouble for quite a long time. That's why I think it's a plug problem rather than a broken wire. But I think the engine is running at less than optimal tuning, and may be misfiring more often than I know about. And the Check Engine light has not lit up once since I've owned the car. So, it looks like Daihatsu has disabled the OBDII function in all Australian cars up until 2006, even though the same model has OBDII in other parts of the world. Why would they do that?

I will look through the forums here and see if there's any threads dealing with OBDII. Seems like there ought to be. Not such an easy topic to find good info on.