View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Unhappy Argh, more coolant leaks.

30mpg is really good! I still need to get a feedback device.

Me, I finally installed the front shocks and swaybar end links I bought a while back. In the process, I found that I've got more coolant leaks.

Passenger side looks like timing cover gasket. Dribbled down block and made a nice perfect little droplet on the end of that corner oil pan bolt. Driver side I can't tell as well - could be timing cover, could be water pump. Also making a droplet on an oil pan bolt.

Both could also be head gasket or lower intake manifold gasket, hard to tell, won't have a good chance to check from cold start until next weekend. Odd thing was, truck was dry when I parked it in the garage - but when I cranked the engine and ran it just long enough to turn the wheels to one side so I could get tools in better, I saw the leak. At least it isn't using much.

(I can't turn the wheels without the engine running or the power steering gets VERY unhappy and will randomly throw a death-wobble tantrum until the air is all bled out. Something to do with the Explorer power steering rack design.)

Poked at the rear O2 sensor wiring - found a frayed spot in the sheath over the wires, but nothing busted or cut. Couldn't find a worn spot in the wire insulation itself, either. Unplugged and replugged the harness, but haven't checked to see if it has woken up from previous constant 0.0V output yet.

At least the truck doesn't do the "bouncy, bouncy, bouncy" bad shocks thing over large bumps anymore.

Thinking real hard about using Bar's Leaks' "Head Gasket Repair" on this thing. Requires draining, flushing, filling with the stuff + water, bleeding out the air, going through a few heat cycles, then drain, flush and re-fill with coolant. Anybody have any experience with this stuff? It isn't the "drop in" stuff, so no major particulates or sludge-generators, but pretty much the highest concentration of sodium silicate you can get off the shelf unless you search out pure stuff. $12 or so, too, so not very expensive like some of the other brands.