View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
kobayashimaru
EcoModding Lurker

Hey from NJ with an inefficient Hyundai!

Hey Everyone. My name is Joe. I'm from Central New Jersey. I drive a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 3.5L and a six speed automatic with manual mode and, while it gets much better mileage than my old 4Runners, I'm not thrilled with it. If I drive strictly on the highway and use the autostick to keep it in sixth while not going faster than 65, the best I can get is around 26.5 MPG. Around town, I can manage around 19 to 20.
The only fuel saving things my car has going for it are LLR tires, reduced alternator load with HID headlights (though my stereo probably cancels that out,) running synthetic 0w20 instead of 5w20 and synthetic transmission fluid. I'd be interested in making some modifications to squeeze a few more mpgs out of it if I can, as I put about 1500 miles on the car a month.
I don't have a roof rack or a spoiler so those are moot. I would be up for getting rid of my mud flaps, doing a partial grill block, a belly pan and an engine block heater. In about 10k miles when I get new tires, I'm considering going from a 235 to a 215 for less rolling resistance.
Some things I'm not really willing to do are getting rid of my AC, power steering, side view mirrors, windshield wipers or radio antenna. It's just that I spend a lot of time in my car and I need to be comfortable driving it.