View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #1835 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Please try to familiarize yourself with the scale of our energy consumption. It would take 130,000 square miles of land and 75 million roof tops (if there were that many pointing south which there aren't). And 1 million, 2.5 MW wind turbines and 50,000 grid scale solar farms. Just to replace all energy for the USA. And then rebuild every wind turbine every 20 years. All mined, refined, and installed with liquid fueled machines. And this would still leave many days of widespread black out per year due to the equally incomprehensible quantity of storage it would take. And try to shift heavy machines to corded electric? and heavy transport to electrolytic Hydrogen with it's terrible round trip efficiency.
And many times more raw materials for the rest of the world to do the same. It just does not add up. By a factor of 10. This wishful thinking without ever running the numbers is impeding logical discussion of what really can be done to come down for a softer landing after liquid fuel leaves us.
Yes,the numbers are mind-numbing!
My dark side goes to many non-politically-correct places when considering our options.I'll keep all that to myself for now.
We'll just have to watch what the market does, since there isn't any grand vision or policy except what we've already seen,and what some are taking back away from us.
We're not the same USA as on December 6th,1941.We may have bred out any true patriotism we had in the intervening years since then.
Madison Avenue won!