View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
I have over 300,000 miles on my 91.5 with PS gray in every tank1oz/3ga. lubricity is a known issue with these VE pumps were designed for the normal sulfur content. So if lubricity is an issue with the common rail use a lubricity agent
This is what I always hear from the owners groups but from laboratory tests and info from the refineries, even though they remove some of the lubricity with the sulfur they add that back with a lubricity enhancer right at the refinery. Supposedly there is just no need to then add more yourself at the pump. There is a chart going around but I question it because it is really old and the starting numbers they provide for the pump diesel are nowhere near what is required by law in the US and most everywhere else. Basically it seems they made up some diesel with very poor properties that wouldn't be what you get at your local station. I was going to start adding two stroke oil.
My gut would go with what the huge trucking companies do, if it provides a cost benefit they would use something although maybe not if it caused emission increases. I don't think they add anything.