View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
The Cyclone 3000 mid drive will push a bike to over 40 with a 60 or 72 volt battery. You may also need a better controller. I bet an average bike weight with the 72v and the high voltage ASI BAC controller would maybe 60mph. That would be scary. I have a heavy fat tire bike, a 52v battery, and that kit and can go 36-37 mph. Just a 60v battery would put it over 40 mph. For me 36 is too fast, I'd rather have more power down low. There is no pedal assist at speeds over 25 mph and that's were you can really add range. At full tilt no pedaling my battery would last about 20-25 miles, drop that to 20 and add pedal and it will go double that. Less wind resistance, rolling resistance, and me adding a few watts with my legs.

I have about $1500 in my bike and if I had to do it over I might just buy one of the Rad bikes out of Seattle for the same price (actually I see they just jumped the price $200 on all their bikes so maybe not). My battery is a little better at 52v and 14 AH, but their frame and other parts are better, and they have a front suspension fork. Theirs are speed limited to 20 mph as well. So thinking about it, I'm pretty happy with mine.