View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Well, your Avalon has an OBDII port. It's a simple matter to connect a gauge and see what the timing advance is doing.

My Acura runs 40 degrees advance when running on about 90 or above octane, but on 87 does a bit less advance during freeway cruise. When I'm regularly driving the car, I can tell what octane is in it just by feel. It has more power when I load the engine heavy at low RPM.

I got the same MPG though regardless of octane.
I just got my Toyota Techstream today! It's a little glitchy though, but it's also telling me that I need Java 6 update 7 or newer, so I need to find that for the XP computer I'm running it on. I also need a way to charge the laptop via the 12V cigarette lighter plug. But I'll see what it's running at. It will be interesting to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Call me repetitive but a little bit of water injection could mimick higher octane fuel.

I would guesstimate a bit of water on your air filter.
Ya, I've thought about water injection. But sub-freezing temperatures for a good part of the year kind of stop me from doing that. (It's 29°F right now, and I just drove home from work.)

Of course cool air also increases octane. In my air cooled bug the cold air made it run lean at high load (right around 14:1, via oxygen sensor and gauge). But I couldn't get it to ping, even going up from 5,000 to 10,000ft with my foot glued to the floor and the timing advance about 5 degrees more than normal and the compression ratio increased from 7.5 to 9.5. But I also was using ethanol free, which was also 91 octane.