View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Hello Taylor95,

Glad you appreciate the updates.

Well, I've done no fuel efficiency mods yet other than parking it and driving the White Car... Instant 90+% increase in mpg. I suppose you could count putting synthetic fluid in the transfercase?

It isn't a question of ability, really - I am capable of doing the work necessary. It's a question of available time and garage space.

I was actually looking at an old XJ when I found Green Truck. The XJ had rust-through on the floors almost all the way around, though, and then I saw Green Truck. Decided to look it up on the dealer website while sitting in the parking lot - and it was listed as a stick shift, so I went to look at it. Ended up buying it within a month or two.

One disadvantage the XJ has is no rear headrests, which isn't good for my kids' necks. Not something that can be fixed with a quick weekend bolt-in, unfortunately. Up here in the land of salted roads, in the price range I was looking around in, there were no XJ's or TJ's that were not excessively rusty.

Well, that's the biggest problem for finding a vehicle - my biggest problem is scrounging time and space to work on one! I can't just go buy an XJ right now anyway - all my "Toy Cash" is tied up in Green Truck and Black Truck.

Need to clear out the garage, get the Green Truck back in, and set to work finishing up the "goodies transplant". Since the 32x11.5R15 mud tires (nearly 100% tread, on new 15x8" black steel rims, on Black Truck) are a very poor choice for winter driving, I'll probably see if I can flog them and pick up some Wrangler Rubicon takeoffs - 255/75R17 would be a good size to go with the 4.11 gears from Black Truck. Would need either captive-lug spacers or rims with the right backspacing.

I can just leave the existing 235/75R15's on, but RPM's will be up a fair bit due to the jump from 3.55 to 4.11 gearing. Factory tow package gearing, though, so not unthinkable.

Dang lucky my wife isn't really mad about not having a garage space.