View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Yes, a friend did it in his 40 ford p/u running behind a buick straight 8. 12 forward 8 reverse. Mounts were a nightmare but (joke follows) he could start it put it in gear, go take a shower and have breakfast and not have it leave his really short driveway. Four on the floor AND three on the tree with overdrive knob.

Flywheel for engine, clutch disc of appropriate diameter from trans. pressure plate from engine.

Same process for slush box: flexplate from engine, drill 3 or 4 torque converter holes from tranny TQ. FORDS or CHEVIES are usually the same engine mount pattern across models.

The most important question: is it worth it? The ranger has 10 forward, 2 R, I use 3 mostly.
Well I THINK it will be worth it IF my van gets 20+ MPG On the highway and if my Ford goes from 20MPH to around 30MPG like the Mercury I have before it did.

I really think it will be of more use in the van as a gear spliter, because there are some hills where you cannot pull it up in 4th and third revs the motor too much so you have to slow down for it, splitting third just might work as a good go between gear.

And as my van is a RV and I do not plan on any heavy loads or any towing it should work fine.

Rich