View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #4996 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
You were saying cold related issues kill more people than heat related issues, implying global warming is a good thing.
You did not provide any data to back your claim.

Basically I showed there are more heat related deaths than cold related deaths. I did not say everyone gets killed by a 1 degree raise in temperature. I suspect that raise will generally have a negative effect on life expectancy, but I did not quantify. I did not even bring up this issue at all, you did.

Your graph does not provide evidence that Jim is waving, whoever he may be. It only shows the effect of improved diagnosis and healthcare over time.

If not me, what alarmist was calling Jim dead, who's Jim, and who told you a 1 degree rise would kill everyone?
I've already posted evidence before about cold killing more than heat. You can skew the figures any way you wish based on how you define cold and heat related death. If you consider freezing crop failure causing food prices to rise, and causing malnutrition related disease, that would be one abstract way to show that cold is worse than heat... that's the same level of abstraction it takes to go from heat > mosquitos > malaria > people bitten by malaria carrying mosquitos > people dying of malaria (heat).

If we're talking about direct causes of death, cold freezes people to death with more frequency than heat smothers them.

Really though, it's plainly obvious that humans thrive more in these temperatures compared to the temperatures that brought about ice ages. Not frozen is generally better for humans. The more not frozen the planet is, the better we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was only familiar with the phrase through Chrome, but guessed it had come from Star Trek.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-16-2019)